What You Should Know
You Can Do It. We Can Help.
Quitting isn’t easy. In fact, it can feel really hard. But with the right plan in place, you can do it! There are many resources available to Mainers. Know the facts. Get support. When you are ready to try, we can help.
The Harm of Smoking
- Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the US, causing over 480,000 deaths per year.*
- Tobacco smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals, many of them harmful, including arsenic, lead and tar.*
- Smoking affects every organ in your body and is a known cause of heart disease, stroke, and lung disease, including lung cancer.
The Benefits of Quitting
- On average, nonsmokers live at least 10 years longer than smokers.*
- Quitting can reverse the damage that smoking has had on your health and reduce your chance of dying from smoking-related disease.*
- For a person who smokes a pack a day, quitting will up to $12,775 per year in cigarette and health-related costs.
- No matter your age or how long you’ve been smoking, it’s never too late to quit.*
**American Lung Association
You Are Not Alone
- Did you know, 78% of people who smoke say they would like to give it up.
- Finding cold turkey doesn’t cut it? Only 3-5 % of people who try to quit on their own will stay quit.
- Using quit medication and counseling can double or triple your chances of quitting for good.