Get The Facts
Lung Cancer in Maine
Lung cancer is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States, leading to more than 150,000 deaths per year.
- Maine has the 6th highest rate of new lung cancer cases in the United States.
- Maine has the 12th highest rate of deaths from lung cancer in the United States.
- More than 1,430 people in Maine are diagnosed with lung cancer each year.
- Maine’s lung cancer rates are 30% higher than the national average.
- 75% of lung cancer cases in Maine are detected late and are often not treatable.
When lung cancer is found early, there are more options for treatment and a better chance for long-term survival.